This building was erected in the first decade of the twentieth century by the West of England China Stone & Clay Company Ltd., on land in the ownership of the Penrice Estate, to be used as its head office. This company was at that time the largest in the china clay industry. In 1919, the building became the headquarters of English China Clays Ltd., which was formed in that year; and, in 1932, also of English Clays Lovering Pochin & Co. Ltd., the main operating subsidiary of English China Clays Ltd. It ceased to be the headquarters of the English China Clays Ltd. group in July 1965, when the offices were moved to John Keay House. Since then it has been used as offices by several concerns, and, in recent years, has been converted to a night club.
The photograph shows the Directors and head office staff of the West of England Company outside the building. The date is not known, but may be 1918, the occasion being a celebration of the end of the First World War.