St Austell Corn Exchange

The Corn Exchange, St Austell
image-94

The Corn Exchange, St Austell

With the date on the building of A D 1859 the St Austell Exchange occupied a prominent position in the Bull Ring and was opened by the St Austell Exchange Co Ltd in November 1900. Previously, in 1881 it housed the St Austell Bank, and during World War II it was used a Food Office and supplies such as gas masks were issued.

The building also housed the St Austell Reading Rooms and St Austell’s first free library.
On Sunday, 19th December 1960, a squad of demolition men demolished the building and the library at the base in Hotel Road (South Street) for a road improvement scheme – see photo.

The demolition of the Corn Exchange St Austell
image-95

The demolition of the Corn Exchange St Austell

 

—-